The National Programme, a rigorous one-year course, is primarily an option for those students who decide to remain in Peru for University. It is an integral part of the formation offered by Markham College whereby English still has an important role, in both the amount of teaching hours devoted to it, as well as the preparation it offers in terms of preparing the pupils for international examinations.
All Pupils in the National Programme are prepared for either the FCE (First Certificate of English) or the CAE (Certificate of Advanced English) examinations. Both exams are offered by the University of Cambridge.
As part of the graduation process, students in the National Programme must also accumulate 60 hours of community service through the CAS programme (Creativity, Action, Service) in which they have the opportunity to develop a commitment to their country and to the most needy.
The National Programme is built upon the following three pillars with the aim of enabling a student to successfully transition from school to university life:
- Development of the basic topics that are covered in the first semester in university
- Preparation for National University admission procedures
- Successful career orientation
The National Programme is:
- A one-year course (Sixth Form: 5N)
- Considered to be a very rigorous academic programme
- Is taught mainly but not entirely in Spanish
- Is excellent preparation for university here in Perú
- Is recognized by most private universities in Perú; students who are in the superior group (50% and higher of the promotion) often have direct entrance to local Universities
Students are expected to complete the following courses:
- English (4 lessons per week)
- Spanish (7 lessons per week)
- PE (Physical Education)
- Tutor periods for assessment (two per week in preparation to University entrance)
- Extended essay written in Spanish
- Choice of 3 option subjects
The National Programme Option Subjects are:
- Choices under the category of Science include: Biology; Chemistry; Physics; Computer Studies; Design&Technology
- Choices under the category of Humanities include: Economics; Geography, History of Peru; Critical Thought
- Choices under the category of Art include: Art; Drama; Music